ARRAIOLOS RUGS – THE HISTORY
Arraiolos rugs are a traditional Portuguese floor covering, typically made of wool and featuring a geometric design.
The history of these rugs can be traced back to the 13th century, when they were first mentioned in documents from the town of Arraiolos in central Portugal. It is believed that the Moors (an exonym first used by Christians to reference the Muslim community of the Middle Ages) introduced the art of rug making to the region, and that the style developed as a result of the blending of Moorish and Christian influences.
During the centuries that followed, Arraiolos rugs became increasingly popular throughout Portugal and Spain. In the 17th and 18th centuries, they were even exported to other European countries, where they were highly prized for their quality and craftsmanship. Today, these rugs are still made in the traditional way, using hand-looms and natural materials. They remain a popular choice for homes and businesses throughout Portugal and beyond.
If you’re interested in owning one of these authentic rug, there are a few things to keep in mind.
- These rugs are typically quite large, so make sure you have enough space to accommodate one.
- The rugs are handmade so each rug is unique and no two are exactly alike. This means that the colours and patterns you see in photos or online may not be exactly the same if you order a rug on the internet. Best see it in person first…
- Authentic rugs can be quite expensive, so be prepared to pay a bit more for a genuine piece.
COMPOSITION AND MATERIAL
Arraiolos rugs are traditional Portuguese rugs that are handmade with woollen yarn on a linen or cotton foundation. The design of these rug typically features a central medallion surrounded by geometric patterns. These rugs are often brightly coloured, with reds, blues, and greens being popular choices. The rugs are durable and can last for many years with proper care.
Authentic rugs will have a label on the back that says “Arraiolos” or “Tapete Arraiolos.” If you’re unsure whether or not a rug is authentic , you can also look for specific characteristics like the type of wool used, the number of knots per square inch, and the overall design. When in doubt, it’s always best to consult with an expert before making a purchase.
Arraiolos rug knots are one of the most popular types of knots used in Portuguese rugs. These knots are created by first tying a basic knot, then adding an extra loop around the centre of the first knot. This creates a second knot that is tighter and more secure than the first.
This rug knot is often used in decorative rugs, as they add a unique texture and pattern to the rug. They can also be used in functional rugs, such as those that are placed in high-traffic areas or in rooms where there is a lot of foot traffic.
This rug knot requires a loom on which the rug foundations are hung. This loom is specially designed for this knot. Rugs are knotted using a strong yarn, and a tapestry needle. The yarn you use should be strong and durable, as it will need to withstand the tension of the knots. The process is as follows:
- Create the first knot by tying a basic overhand knot. Then, you will take the tapestry needle and insert it through the centre of the overhand knot.
- The yarn is then wrapped around the tapestry needle and pulled through the centre of the overhand knot again. This creates a second loop around the first knot.
- Finally, the yarn is pulled through the second loop and tighten the knot.
- To create the second knot, the same steps above are repeated. However, instead of pulling the yarn through the centre of the overhand knot, it is pulled through the second loop. This will create a third loop around the first two knots.
- Finally, the yarn is pulled through the third loop which tighten all three knots together.
TORN BETWEEN CHOOSING AN ARRAIOLOS OR PERSIAN RUG?
There are many factors to consider when purchasing any rug, such as price, quality, style, and where it was made. If you’re torn between an Arraiolos rug and a Persian rug, here is some information to help you make your decision.
Arraiolos rugs are hand-woven in Portugal from high-quality wool. They feature intricate designs and patterns, and often have fringed edges. Rugs are available in a range of sizes, making them suitable for any space. Prices can vary depending on the size and design of the rug, but they are generally more affordable than Persian rugs.
Persian rugs are also hand-woven, but they originate from Iran. Persian rugs are made from a variety of materials, including wool, cotton, and silk. They often feature elaborate designs and patterns, and can be quite expensive. Persian rugs are available in a range of sizes, but they are typically larger than Arraiolos rugs.
When deciding between an Arraiolos rug and a Persian rug, it’s important to consider your budget and the desired look for your space. If you’re looking for a high-quality rug that is still relatively affordable, an Arraiolos rug would be a good option. If you’re willing to spend more money on a luxurious rug, a Persian rug would be a better choice. Ultimately, the decision comes down to personal preference.
#arraiolos #tapetearraiolos #tapetesdearraiolos #tapetedearraiolos rugsarraiolos #arraiolosrugs #arraiolosrug #handmaderug handmaderugs